Foreign Investor Information

If you are a foreign person, that is any person who is not an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or permanent resident in Australia, you will require approval from the Australian Government to purchase property in Australia.

The Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) is the government body that regulates the purchase of Australian property by foreign persons, to which all applications must be submitted.

A foreign person is not legally able to buy property or enter into a contract to buy property in Australia unless the FIRB has approved the purchase, or unless the contract is conditional on the FIRB approving the purchase.

There are some exemptions from having to obtain the FIRB approval, for example, if you are buying a residential property with your spouse who is an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident in Australia – then you may not have to obtain FIRB approval.

Have more questions about the FIRB or want to download an application? Please click here: